Paul Van Ross
A graduate of the Victorian College of the Arts, Paul currently lives in Melbourne, Australia. A talented woodwind specialist, he has been performing and teaching for over 20 years on saxophone, flute and clarinet. He studied in New York (1996 & 2013) with some of the world’s leading teachers and musicians, including Ari Hoenig, George Garzone, George Coleman, Barry Harris, Seamus Blake, Itai Kriss and many more. His performances are highly energetic and display rhythmic prowess and bare influences from many genres of music. In 2013 Paul recorded & studied in New York and Cuba. He has toured and performed extensively in many parts the world.
Based in Melbourne, Australia, Paul has been a musical performer for over 20 years. He has performed all over the world in various musical ensembles. He is frequently in demand as a leader and sideman for his versatility.
- Private Study in Cuba (2009 & 2013) with Evelyn Suarez, Micky, Gustavo
- Private Study in New York (1996 & 2013) with Ari Hoenig, Jon Gordon, Seamus Blake, Rob Scheps, Itai Kriss, Barry Harris, George Garzone, George Coleman, Lawrence Feldman, Helen Campo, Andrew Sterman, Dave Valentin
- Melbourne University, Conservatorium of Music
- Victorian College of the Arts (VCA)
- Private Study in Australia with Jamie Oehlers, Tony Hicks, Ian Chaplain, Mark Franklin, Ann Cecil
- Graduate Diploma in Education
- Self-Published own Woodwind / Piano Book Series – www.MusicAllsorts.com
- Graduate Diploma in Education, Music
- Bachelor of Music Performance (Improvisation) – VCA
- Associate Diploma in Music, Australia (AMEB) – flute (1996)
- Grade 8 Saxophone – Associated Board of the Royal Colleges of Music
Queenstown Jazz Festival (New Zealand), Tauranga Jazz Festival (New Zealand), Wellington Jazz Festival (New Zealand), Germany, United States, Canada, Cuba, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Kuala Lumpur, Korea, United Arab Emirates, Austria, Laos, Thailand.
Wangaratta Jazz Festival, Melbourne International Jazz Festival, Stonnington Jazz Festival, Port Fairy Folk Festival, Apollo Bay Music Festival.
As a leader
- 2014 – “Mi Alma Cubana – My Cuban Soul” Paul Van Ross (Recorded in Cuba)
- 2013 – “The Buck Stops Here” Paul Van Ross (Rattle Records)
- 2009 – “Get Sorted” Paul Van Ross (Independent Release)
- 2004 – “Live at Spleen” Mark Lockett & Paul Van Ross (NewMarket Records)
As a sideman
- 2014 – “ClaveMania” Latin jazz project….CD released soon
- 2014 – “Jaki Vallejo” debut album Soon to be released
- 2013 – “Stories to Tell” Caitlin Smith
- 2008 – “Now & Then” Mark Lockett (Move Records)
- 2008 – “Return Journey” Moovin’ n Groovin’ Orchestra
- 2007 – “Zoo Music” Moovin’ n Groovin’ Orchestra
- 2007 – “The Gig Suite” Moovin’ n Groovin’ Orchestra
- 2003 – “About Time” Mark Lockett (Move Records)
- 2001 – “Never Again Such Beauty” Daimon Brunton
- 2000 – “Xavier Rudd 3″ Xavier & The Hum
- 1999 – “Guven” Guven (BMG)
- 1999 – “Early Light” The Sundowners
- 1994 – “Bush Tracks” The Sundowners
Paul has performed in the United States, Germany, Canada, Cuba, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Kuala Lumpur, Korea, United Arab Emirates, Austria, Laos, Thailand, New Zealand and throughout Australia with leading artists like Mark Fitzgibbon, Mark Lockett, Kim Kelaart, Michelle Nicole, Allison Wedding, Joe Bataan, Bert Newton, Michael Slocum, The Sundowners, Sam Lemann, The Moovin’ & Groovin Orchestra, Rebecca Barnard and many more…..
- Currently teaching at various schools in Melbourne
- Workshops in Auckland, Wellington and throughout Australia