Well, finally the great day arrived.
Recording in the New York studio for my new album.
A few Australian musicians had recorded with the best of the best in New York before, it’s something I had always dreamed of. You never think you are ready enough. In any case, NOW was the time.
The band was top class:
Ari Hoenig – drums
Mike Moreno – guitar
Matt Clohesy – bass
Paul Van Ross – saxophone / flute
In retrospect it was a well chosen band, not only for their musical talents but because they had played together frequently and had also just been on tour in Europe the week before.
Started the day recording a flute track, a bossa nova which will feature Ari playing the melody on drums.
Midway through the day the ensemble started sounding like a “band”. Lots of interaction, a tight ensemble, everyone listening. This is exactly what I was after!!!!!!!!!! Yeay!
I won’t go into too much detail about the tracks as I don’t want to give too much away. However I will say that:
– Recording and playing with these musicians is probably the highlight of my career.
– I learnt a great deal about being professional and preparing thoroughly for the recording.
– It was inspiring being able to capitalise on individual talents (something Duke Ellington was famous for).
– All musicians wanted to create the best music possible.
– There were NO egos.
– Prior experience in the studio paid off.
Was a sensational day. Wish I could do it again! I’m extremely happy with the recordings.
Thanks to Veronica Hodgkinson Lockett for taking some great photos on the day.
Many hurdles jumped.
I aim to have the album released in early 2014.
Dream came true 🙂